Pet or profit: How do I start profiting my rabbit pet


Like any pet lover, I have an enjoyable time to spend with my pets. I have a dog, cat, pigeons, hamster, white mice, and arowana. My family also owned poultry animals like chickens, pigs, and goat. But I was more interested with my pet buddies. I don’t care if they have breed or non-breed, all I know is I love the way they get along with me. Just to see them fine and healthy everyday is what makes me happy.

It was years ago when I decided to add a new member to my growing pet buddies. I bought a pair of New Zealand white from my friend. They were about three to four weeks old. Cute and lovely as they are and I have 10 reasons why I love my white rabbits I named them Tiffany, the sleepyhead and Benz, the chewer freak. Everything they need was quite easy to prepare. I started reading books and searching through internet about rabbits. Seeking some helpful information is the first step to take as a newbie. I also keep asking other rabbit breeders and my vet friend just to keep gathering hints about rabbit.

After few months Tiffany had born seven kits. That was fast that I don’t even think to neuter them. Two months later and I have two stackable cages that take space at our garage. I have instant nine rabbits that I don’t have any idea what to do with them. After a week my vet friend visits me, he saw my rabbits and asks me if I want to earn extra cash with them. I say no, but when he explained that I can really make profit of raising them, we take a sit sip a coffee and told me everything about the benefits of raising rabbits. He said that he can give me contacts of rabbit dealers. I realize that in order to succeed I have to know the market in our area in which I should focus in order to be successful.

I have a full time job that time and I know that profiting my rabbit will give me a hard time. But I don’t want to dispose my rabbit by selling them because I really want to keep them. So even I know that I’m going to have a rough time I made up my mind to profit my rabbit. It’s great that I convinced my father to help me build my rabbitry. He also helps me attending my rabbit’s needs when I’m not around. I just have time to do my rabbit chores during weekends. Thanks to my family that they understand and help me out. So if you planning to profit your rabbit too it is great that you can convince your family to help you do the job, because you need a lot of helping hand to start a rabbit business and the first people that you can rely on is your family.

Rabbits are prolific breeder and I have nearly hundred of them in just a short period of time. I started profiting my rabbit by selling kits because it is the demanding market in our area. Later on I try meat and fur production and lucky that I made a good business prospect that time.

Rabbit’s production and selling are quite easy, I sold them for many purposes like breeding, offspring, meat, fur, and even their waste for fertilizer. I also managed to separate my ten favorite rabbits including Tiffany and Benz and never put them again on breeding and let their siblings do the job. It’s true that I can quit my job anytime and focus to my rabbit business without worrying financially. But I didn’t, all I need is a little help from my family to do the task and I can do things what I want. That’s a convenience!  Rabbits can be a source of instant cash. But I just don’t treat them that way; whether I raise rabbits for pet or profit I see it as an enjoyable hobby that greatly benefits me.

Popular Posts